WP 8.1: App definitely is in the Store. However…

I can download it, but I can only find it in the store by using its unique id. None of the keywords seem to work.

phone_errors02

I can’t play it, because of this error message, which seems to have precious few googles against it:

phone_errors01

 

Error code 80073cf9 then.

Is it some issue with Location permissions? Is it because I have been using my phone as an emulator? Really don’t know. Pain.

Date time mismatch? No

It got to about 1am. I went to bed. Saturday. Did some more googling and experiments. Went food shopping with my wife. Had a coffee and a pastry (that was my breakfast). Got down to it again: I had seen mention of deleting any vestiges of your app from Storage Sense in WP8.1. Looking around in there, I saw that there was an old copy, which had a different logo, and a different title even, to my current app. I deleted that, rebooted, and this time the installation was successful. For customers, that suggests that they will in fact work, as they do not have an existing version to mess them up.

The big takeaway is in summary (and this is good for my case only, I suspect there are many causes all being repointed to the error 80073cf9), check you Storage Sense and existing App state for apps which are old prototypes etc. and delete those you find. I do not know if it is somehow that they all share the same GUID, but a) that feels plausible, but b) why cannot Microsoft give a more intelligible message.

 

 

 

WP 8.1: App finally on the Store… allegedly

So although they say it’s there:

Ads16

 

Congrats01

 

I just can’t find it. Admittedly the notice is highly ambiguous and unclear, but all their other communications point to it being there. But they don’t seem to be very joined up, so maybe I will just wait the 5 days. I have BTW submitted and passed the auto-certification. Just getting this far has been a good challenge. This is my flagship, shop-window front page. Delacroix is surely out of copyright, so hopefully should be OK:

DelaCroix01_1280_768Those of you familiar with the painting will know the woman has bare breasts in the original. In order not to restrict my target market, you see that I’ve used a clone stamp to hide that fact.

I might contact MS at some point.

 

 

WP 8.1 and the Windows Store: Progress! Through an undocumented route?…

I first went through the motions again of trying to upload the app via Visual Studio (see previous posts), namely…

Upload03

fail01 fail02

https://appdev.microsoft.com/StorePortals/en-US/Developer/Catalog/Upload/(my id)

 

I then browsed the readable parts of the package area, and found this:

LandingUrl01That surely had to be worth a shot, so I plugged that into the browser, and that took me here:

Upload00

This seemed to be set at read-only, charging £0.00 for the app. That’s fine for now, let’s just see if we can progress beyond the previous hurdles. So taking it further, it actually navigated to, found my app bundle, and evidently successfully read it:

Upload01

The big takeaway for me is the very different domain we’re dealing with, ie dev.windowsphone.com and not appdev.microsoft.com. I don’t think anything has changed in the last 2 days, and I dare say if I now google this working route, I’ll find more… but not tonight. It’s enough for now.

 

 

 

Windows Phone 8.1: trying to submit an app to the store

Having passed Certification, I went to the upload area in the naive expectation that this would now be a breeze. Ha. Ha ha. Wrong. Well, that’s not entirely fair: I got the first set of ticks well within Microsoft’s estimates:

Selling01

Selling02

Selling03

 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694075.aspx#package_metadata_requirements

Manually creating an app bundle:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/hh446767(v=vs.85).aspx

 

 

 

Windows Phone 8.1: HttpStringContent not StringContent

, and  HttpMediaTypeHeaderValue not MediaTypeHeaderValue

LongListSelector has gone, replaced evidently by ListView and GridView:

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/ListViewSimple-d5fc27dd/sourcecode?fileId=44767&pathId=1250673520

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/br242878

QuickStart looks on ListView ok: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh780650

And pointers…

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/apps/xaml/jj150606.aspx

 

 

 

Snippet

public async Task<string> Save(Composer updatedComposer) {
           var client = new HttpClient();
 
 
           var uri = new Uri(string.Format(
               UrlBase,
               Constants.Code,
               Constants.QueryKeyAction,
               Constants.ActionSave,
               DateTime.Now.Ticks));
 
           var json = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(updatedComposer);
 
           try {
               var content = new HttpStringContent(json);
               content.Headers.ContentType = new HttpMediaTypeHeaderValue("application/json");
 
               var response = await client.PostAsync(uri, content );
               var result = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync();
 
               return result;
           } catch (Exception) {
               return "0";
           }
       }