A fairly productive 24 hours, including the “good-for-the-soul” digging in the garden. The Buddha was gently moved, the covering stones now all washed, and sitting in piles on a tarpaulin, ready for a fresh weed-mat.
In terms of the more enjoyable productive bit (this being a week off ostensibly for half-term), I’ve learned a lot on the Phone 8.1 front. This should really have been called Windows 9 – it’s such a big change, well from the developer angle anyway. And no surprise that the next version the public will see is Windows 10.
Anyway, at least I have something in place now:
Running some token unit tests against my Phone app, I got this:
------ Run test started ------
Target platform x86 is incompatible with the selected device type. Make sure that they are compatible with each other and try again. Example: - X86 or Win32 platform is compatible with emulator and not compatible with arm device. Similarly arm platform is compatible with arm device and not compatible with emulator.
Unit tests in source D:\data\Git\Development\C#\NumberSpeaker\Build\NumberSpeaker\NumberSpeaker.UnitTest\bin\x86\Debug\NumberSpeaker.UnitTest.dll cannot be run. Please create a Windows Store or Windows Phone Unit Test project.
========== Run test finished: 0 run (0:00:00.2086909) ==========
This is such a nonsense, can the compiler really not sort this out? This person has documented how to work around it, and I’ve got it working, but I couldn’t get it work through the device/phone, only through the emulator.
Also something of a struggle are behaviors in XAML in 8.1 Phone. Basically I want to shift focus to a textbox triggered by the clicking of a button, but I want to do it in an MVVM way. This person documents that side nicely, but it needed this person, and their Nuget package WpWinNl to get it working in Phone 8.1.
Oh yeah, here was another wierd error have you have debugging exceptions on, which someone on StackOverflow says “just ignore”, but it just feels so wrong you have to do that:
I’m not terribly sure why, but I’m now using Git on Azure to save my source code to. Well, I do: a) I want it free (covered by my trial, so I will have to think again) and b) I want it private.
I find Team Explorer in Visual Studio a pain to use, not very well thought out as an interface.
Whenever I copy code across to a new project, I keep forgetting to enable speech: